Saturday, December 31, 2016

Last Days in Spain


Returned safely from my six day trip and the reality that I will be home in the next forty-eight hours is surprisingly hard to conceive because I have been away for so long. Before, I left I went to the University of Alicante again and just observed my surroundings and soaked in everything I could as it was my last day on campus. I went to the Spanish Studies Abroad office and said my see you laters to Pepa and Marisa who are two phenomenal women who made my journey in Alicante wonderful and helped me become comfortable with conversing in Spanish.

I got home and wrapped up my packing (good thing I started in November lol) and had to wear a few layers of clothes to make room in my luggage lol. Before I left, I thought to myself how I want to see my host family’s children and grandchildren so I can say my goodbyes. I guess God heard my request because around 7pm I heard my host mom, Carla, Vera and their mother enter the house and thirty minutes later her husband and my host dad entered the house. I was so happy because I knew they were going to stay for dinner and as my last dinner in Alicante, I was grateful to spend it with them. While dinner was getting made, I was playing with Carla and Vera and it amazed me how in these last four months they grew on to me that it was actually very bittersweet that I would not be seeing them as often. Dinner time arrived and we had a great time talking about our day and then I ended the night by reading a letter to my host parents, then to Dori and her husband and I wrote two letter to Julia and Maria since I was not going to see them before I left. In the letter to my host parents, I expressed how I am forever grateful for what having patience with me as I improve my Spanish speaking skills and get acquainted with the Spaniard lifestyle. In addition, how their family is blessed to have them as role models and how I will miss my host dad’s jokes and my host mom’s Spaniard dishes. I could not get through reading the letter without crying no matter how many times, I tried to pinch myself to stop the water-works from coming, it was to no success. As for Dori and her husband’s letter, I thanked them for showing me the importance and blissful blessings of finding your soulmate and building a wonderful and strong family. Furthermore, how I aspire to have that in my future some day. Lastly, I told them all how I love them all so much and they will forever be in my hearts. I continued to keep crying that even Carla was asking her father why I was crying and he expressed she is just emotionally happy right now. They were all so touched by the letters. The night came to an end and we exchanged hugs and social media handles as a way to keep in contact.

Friday morning came and it was time to head to the airport. As I hugged my host parents, I cried a bit again (I will never understand this whole phenomenon of being happy to go home but when the day actually comes you are crying your eyes because a part of you wants to stay a little longer). Thank you God, Mom and Dad, Ithaca College, Europe, Spain, and Spanish Studies Abroad for a life changing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment