Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Season To Be Thankful

November is known as the month of giving thanks and spending time with your family and friends. I have a lot to be thankful for this year: God for all the blessings he has bestowed on my life,my family and friends for their love and support, different journeys and experiences I have been able to embark on with the help of my scholarship program The Tiger Woods Foundation, my study abroad program Spanish Studies Abroad, and my institution Ithaca College.

One of those experiences this month was my trip to London for the very first time. I went to visit my aunt and her family who moved there five years ago. When I arrived to London, I was quickly reminded of what soon awaits me once I arrive in New York City the cold fall weather, fast paced lifestyle and extensive metro system, everyone speaking English and seeing English signs. But London was a reversal of America. For starters the driver seat is on the right side rather than the left side. The fast lane when driving is on the right which is our slow lane in the States.

However, London is really expensive compared to America for example when you buy an oyster card (which is the card for bus and train similar to a metro card) it can be used for both bus and train but the fares are different and you are charged based on the distance of your journey. I felt that was outrageous and confusing because in NYC there is just one flat rate and it doesn't matter the distance of your journey. The payment is for both the train and the bus. Thankfully, my fourteen year old cousin accompanied me throughout my time there.  When I took the bus for the first time in London, I felt like a little kid because their public buses are similar to our time squares tour buses. As a result, I ran up to the upper deck with my cousin and sat at the front of the bus enjoying the ride lol. My cousin couldn't help but laugh at how excited I was to ride the upper deck.

On the first night my cousin and I went to see the Aladdin play. I was surprised to find out that the program aka playbill did not accompany the tickets. Basically, there were two different types of programs: a very small one with the actors and actresses biographies for 4 pounds and a huge program with all the plays stage performance pictures for 8 pounds, but if you buy both it was 10 pounds. I felt it was a huge rip off because I am used to all of that being included in the price of your tickets. The show was amazing my cousin and I really enjoyed ourselves. Afterwards, my cousins and I spent time talking about the differences and similarities between our two countries. It was funny to see the various words we used to mean the same and at times found ourselves not understanding what the other was saying because of those words (e.g candy vs. sweets, curling wand vs. roller etc). As my trip to London was slowly coming to an end, I went to visit a friend who was studying abroad in London and she took me to an African event where I meant new people and  I was able to see how much London loves culture especially African culture. My trip to London was very much needed and I was grateful to spend time with my family and friends.

Remember the young girl I wrote about in my last blog who is half German and half Nigerian? I saw her again on the bus on our way to school. She told me that after our last conversation during the cooking class I inspired her to do more research about the Nigerian culture and most importantly her family's roots. Furthermore,  she was able to confirm  my statement of a people's identity is more defined by their tribes than by the country itself. She was so fascinated by the different aspects of our culture that she wants to one day visit Nigeria and experience the culture. I was amazed by how me reminiscing about my time in Nigeria could influence another person to explore their roots.

Thanksgiving Day has finally arrived and it was the first time I have ever spent it without family and friends. At this moment homesickness was at an all time high because I was thinking of all the great, delicious, and fulfilling food and the good times with family and friends. Thankfully, Spanish Studies Abroad arranged a Thanksgiving lunch for us (which was pretty amazing in my opinion) where we laughed, talked about how we were and expressed what we were thankful for. I really enjoyed the dinner,  the program did well even though many of was away from home.

I am thankful for the way God has protected me through all my trips around Europe while still doing well in classes and learning a new language. This month marks my last month taking Spanish courses and a month before it is time for me to return back to the city.

Year 2016 will surely be a year to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment