Monday, October 31, 2016

Pink Beaches, Ibiza and Everything in between

Since I can remember, I have always enjoyed learning about various cultures because I find it very fascinating how disparate  parts of the world can be so close to each other but vastly different. Other than Spaniards, I have met many Norwegians,  Asians  (Koreans, Japanese, Hong Konger) Germans, Irish, Italians, Scotts, Poles and Finns. A common similarity I found between each of them is how commonly they know more than one language. I found it interesting  that most of my classmates could speak at least three to four languages. I asked them was it a choice of their parents or mandatory from their ruling government? Each of them responded  that  it is encouraged in their country to know at least two languages if not three because Europe is a continent where there is an array of multiple languages. After hearing this, I was appalled because America as a whole is a country where English is preferred because there is this general misconception that everyone all over the world can speak or understands English. As a result, most Americans mainly speak English. Of course there is an exception to this, which is the people whose cultural background is not American, then being multilingual is encouraged (which is true in my family). Another observation I made about European countries is that after graduating from high school it is highly recommended the youth take a gap year. For a year or two, Europeans work, travel to different countries, join the army, or learn another language while figuring out what they want to do with the rest of their lives.

Personally, I think the gap year phenomenon  is a wonderful idea that needs to be broadcasted more in high schools especially in inner cities because I know a few of my close friends and associates who would have benefited from that experience. A week ago, I had the pleasure to listen to a first-hand perspective about the gap year programs from an young adult and her insightful parent. To my surprise a girl who is studying abroad with me mentioned how she did a gap year after high school and it was the best decision she could have ever made at that point in her life. She travelled to different parts of the world, met people with similar interests as her and most importantly was able to do self-discovery before embarking on her college journey. Afterwards, I asked her father, "Were you in full support of your daughter's decision to not enroll into college right after high school?" He responded truthfully, "Yes, I was 100 percent in support of her choice because we knew at the time if she went when she was not fully ready, then she would not appreciate college as much as she does now.” As the conversation continued about gap years , I realized that many of us attend college right after college not having a clue about  what we want to major in let alone if college is what we want to truly do. Since attending college is a social norm or another life accomplishment to check off, many people enter college not mentally, financially, emotionally,  socially or physically ready. Unfortunately, people do not finish college and have to suffer from the shame portrayed by their families and friends for being a “dropout”. I can say after this conversation and my personal experience with the college journey, I have a better outlook on the college process for high schoolers. Rather than expressing to them the only option they have is to attend college right after high school , I can inform them about gap year programs and the requirements, benefits, and the ultimate purpose of the programs.

Towards the beginning of October a group of us decided to explore other parts of Alicante throughout the month. We first chose to visit Torrevieja, which is located in the southern region of Alicante. Torrevieja is a well known town in Alicante because it contains two salt lakes, a pink one and a green one. These lakes are very famous because they are referred to as a place where people can get a natural spa. My friends and I decided to go to the pink lake which is called, Las Salinas de Torrevieja. It was an amazing trip because the lake was very  similar to the Dead Sea in Asia. The water was so salty that after a while of being in the lake it started to burn the sensitive parts of our bodies. There was black mud near the lake that was used for therapeutic means by the locals and visitors. However, the most astonishing part about the lake (other than it being naturally pink) was when we would lay down , we did not sink we just floated and the water was so SHALLOW. We were able to pick up salt from the lake and see all the sea salt in its natural state. While my friends and I were relaxing in the lake and getting tanned we met these wonderful Swedish men who were so intrigued about our different regional backgrounds in the States. They were so happy to meet us and started talking about what life was like in Sweden and the similarities and differences between them and Norwegians. It was an interesting conversation because Norwegians and Swedish people are so similar to each other their differences are very minimal. The main difference was their accents and pronunciations with certain words or phrases.


Another part of Spain we decided to visit for a weekend was Ibiza, which is known as the island where the best parties in the whole world take place.  We took a bus to a boat in order to get to Ibiza and let me tell you , it was an interesting journey. I have never met a group of people who enjoy House Music as much as Spaniards. They were filled with so much energy that they were dancing for the entire 3 hr boat ride. IBIZA WAS THE HIGHLIGHT TRIP FOR THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER. It was amazing meeting people from all over the world, enjoying different types of music especially HIP HOP , RNB, but that wasn't the best of it. On our last night in Ibiza we decided to go to a club called Pacaha,  BEST DECISION WE MADE. The club was broken off into three or four parts where music of all sorts was played and I was so elated to find a part that was playing music from back home. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying my time in Spain and the music being played at the various clubs we visit, but a sister has to return back to her roots of Hip-Hop and RNB. As I was enjoying myself, and thinking this night couldn't get any better, I found I was gravely mistaken. After dancing for over three hours, I decided to take a break and THEY PLAYED AFRICAN MUSIC (IVORY COAST TO BE EXACT) ❗❗❗❗❗❗ I WAS SO EXCITED I JUMPED OUT OF MY SEAT AND STARTED BUSTING MY AFRICAN MOVES ON THE DANCEFLOOR. IT WAS SUCH A GREAT NIGHT & THE TIMING WAS PERFECT BECAUSE I WAS CELEBRATING THE INDEPENDENCE OF MY BELOVED COUNTRY, NIGERIA. AFRICANS ARE MAKING IT WORLDWIDE.

So that’s life outside of classes, but I am also learning a lot at school

¡Hola Santiago! ¿Qué tal?
¡Hola Efosa! Muy Bien, ¿Cómo estas?
Muy Bien, Profesor, Jefe Lol

It will be the last time, I would say those words in the morning before Spanish class because it was a new month and I was progressing to the next level of Spanish. Professor Santiago was a BLESSING sent from God. He helped me adjust to the academic customs in Spain, kept reminding me to not be so hard on myself and take everything a day at a time. He made learning Spanish fun and interesting by applying the lessons to realistic everyday scenarios  (e.g introductions, expressing how you feel, describing professions and the places where people work etc.). For that I will forever be grateful  to him.

As I start my new level of Spanish class, I notice I am becoming more comfortable in conversing in Spanish with people outside of the classroom setting. Regardless if I say it correctly,  I am having fun throughout the experience. (That's the whole point of this trip right?) Well until next time !

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your insight about gap years! Cheers to you as you close your journey in Spain and embark on another! xo

    ReplyDelete